Each week The Sports Esquires keep track of the sports law headlines so you don’t have to. This week’s edition features new sports gambling legislation, the Lane Johnson lawsuit, and the looming Supreme Court decision on the New Jersey sports betting case.
Sports Gambling and Fantasy Sports
- New Jersey will soon learn its fate at the Supreme Court. Zach Zagger provides more background on the case. Dan Wallach looks at whether the case is certworthy.
- Legislators introduced bills in South Carolina and New York to legalize sports betting. John Brennan has more on the New York bill. Dustin Gouker says the South Carolina bill is more about casino
- “Fantasy Contest Amusement Act” filed in Florida would regulate fantasy sports contests. Dustin Gouker has a quick summary.
- Dan Wallach explains how a recent lawsuit could reignite the New York DFS battle. Our own Justin Fielkow previously analyzed the constitutional challenge facing New York’s fantasy sports law.
- Michael McCann, Sheilla Dingus, and Alan Wilmot weigh in on Lane Johnson’s PED suspension and subsequent lawsuit.
- Melissa Jacobs discusses the unreliability of the NFL’s concussion protocol. The NFLPA will conduct its own investigation into Matt Moore’s situation.
- The 49ers have sued Santa Clara over the threat to terminate the Levi’s Stadium agreement. Here’s the complaint.
- Minor league umpires agree to a new five-year labor contract and new amenities.
- Podcast: Nathaniel Grow discusses MLB legal issues and a California loophole for Mike Trout on the Conduct Detrimental Podcast.
- DirecTV moves to dismiss DOJ’s lawsuit over Dodgers channel.
- The NCAA concussion settlement website is now up.
- 300 colleges now being investigated for Title IX sexual assault violations.
- Podcast: Kyle Brennan talks about working in college sports on the Sports Law Biz Podcast.
- In the Derek Boogaard case, NHL relies on the First Amendment in its motion to dismiss. Meanwhile, Boogaard’s father is on a quest to end fighting in the NHL.
Best of the Rest
- MMA fighter Mark Hunt files RICO complaint against Brock Lesnar and UFC. Jason Cruz has a good explanation of the lawsuit.
- Steve Mendelsohn and Larry Coon look at the biggest changes to the NBA CBA.
- 18 women sue former USA Gymnastics doctor in sexual assault case.