Each week The Sports Esquires keep track of the sports law headlines so you don’t have to. This week’s edition features everything you need to know about the new MLB collective bargaining agreement.
- The MLB and MLBPA announced a new CBA agreement. More details. How the new MLB CBA affects the draft, free agency, and the international market. Michael Baumann discusses some of the changes. The big changes include World Series home field advantage and smokeless tobacco. Jeff Passan takes a look inside the negotiating room at how the deals were made. Could the new CBA increase the chances of a work stoppage in five years? Three changes to pay attention to. Nathaniel Grow’s assessment.
- Michael McCann and Robert Raiola discuss how Trump’s tax policy could impact MLB free agency.
- John Sigety writes about the postseason battle for the Raiders between Oakland and Las Vegas.
- NFL and NFLPA file position statements in Packers offensive lineman Mike Pennel’s lawsuit.
- Podcast: Dans Wallach and Werly discuss the NBA CBA.
- The NBA will reportedly start the season earlier in October next year in an attempt to eliminate back-to-back games.
Sports Gambling and Fantasy Sports
- Dan Wallach sizes up Mississippi as the next to challenge PASPA.
- Dustin Gouker provides an update on DFS in Illinois.
Best of the Rest
- Jason Cruz: MMA fighters announce formation of new association.
- NCAA seeks dismissal of former USC linebacker Lamar Dawson’s wage lawsuit.