Each week The Sports Esquires keep track of the sports law headlines so you don’t have to. This week’s edition looks at the potential last step for O’Bannon, the trademark case impacting the Redskins, and the official end of Deflategate.
- A new agreement formalizes the process of declaring early for the draft. Darren Heitner writes that it should benefit underclassmen considering entering the draft.
- A second petition has been filed with the Supreme Court, asking it to reject the $1 billion NFL concussion settlement. Here’s the petition.
- Deflategate is officially over, on the field and in court.
- Read the second part of Andrew Brandt’s halfway point assessment of the NFL CBA.
- The Supreme Court will hear a trademark case that could impact the Redskins name dispute.
- Jon Solomon looks at the Supreme Court’s consideration of the O’Bannon case. Thomas Baker’s analysis: slim chance but possible. Andy Schwarz imagines a Supreme Court opening argument in the case.
- Former USC linebacker Lamar Dawson sued the NCAA and Pac-12 for failing to pay Division I football players. Here’s the complaint.
- New NCAA proposal would factor in athletes’ academic performance in revenue distribution scheme to schools.
- Court dismisses most of the Wyckoff case which challenged MLB scout pay practices.
- Steve Clevenger and the precedent for insensitive comments.
- Is the MLBPA too friendly with MLB in CBA talks?
- Patrick Kessock: does service time manipulation violate MLB’s CBA?
- The NHL has filed its reply brief in the case disputing the Dennis Wideman arbitration award.
- Former players suing the NHL over concussions remain loyal to hockey.
Best of the Rest
- The LAPD confirmed it is investigating a complaint against Derrick Rose.
- Marc Edelman: does IP law prohibit live-streaming of commercial sporting events?
- Ford Shield remembers Arnold Palmer, golf legend and IP mogul.
- David Forrest and Rick Parry: the key to sports integrity in the U.S. is legalized and regulated sports betting.
- Previewing Marquette’s Sports Law Review fall issue.