Each week The Sports Esquires keep track of the sports law headlines so you don’t have to. This week’s edition highlights the many issues daily fantasy sports face in different states, as well as the oral arguments in the NFL concussion litigation.
Sports Gambling and Fantasy Sports
- New York: Justin Fielkow reviews the New York litigation and potential impact. A judge refused to sign a TRO against New York AG Eric Schneiderman. The case’s hearing for preliminary injunction is on Wednesday. DraftKings will remain open in New York until the court decides. In response, Schneiderman has asked for his own preliminary injunction against FanDuel and DraftKings. Here’s his complaint against FanDuel. The complaint against DraftKings. Memo in support of the preliminary injunction. The New York AG also filed a number of interesting exhibits in its DFS suits. Rachel Axon reviews some of the New York filing highlights, with analysis from Dan Wallach. DraftKings is likely to appeal if the court grants the AG’s motion. Yahoo added to New York’s DFS investigation. Schneiderman wrote an op-ed comparing DFS to online poker. How much fallout is Schneiderman’s action causing for DFS? Michael McCann and Will Green analyze the lawsuit.
- Massachusetts: Massachusetts AG Maura Healey announces new regulations for DFS. Here’s the full text of the regulations. Press release from the AG’s office. More information, including statements from DraftKings and FanDuel.
- Florida: Dan Wallach and Marc Dunbar: A closer look at Florida’s uncertain legal landscape for fantasy sports. New house and senate fantasy sports bills introduced in Florida legislature. Fantasy Sports Trade Association supports proposed Florida regulations. Dustin Gouker has the background on the proposed Florida regulations.
- Class action filed against major sports leagues and media companies alleging conspiracy and racketeering claims. Legal Sports Report provides all the documents related to the suit.
- New Tennessee lawsuit against FanDuel.
- Washington state seeks to legalize fantasy sports.
- Paul Anderson previewed the NFL concussion settlement oral arguments here and here. Here are the various briefs in the case. The judges were skeptical of former NFL players’ arguments against the settlement.
- Here’s a copy of Texas A&M’s “12th Man” trademark complaint against the Indianapolis Colts.
- Aldon Smith suspended one-year for drunk driving incident.
- Dwight Freeney’s fraud and negligence claims against Bank of America survive motion to dismiss.
- Avi Sommer looks at Lorenzo Cain’s MLB salary arbitration case.
- Does the fine print on the back of tickets protect MLB teams from foul ball lawsuits?
- MLB files motion to dismiss another foul ball lawsuit.
- Here’s the NCAA’s opposition to en banc rehearing in the O’Bannon appeal.
- Suspended Florida quarterback Will Grier loses his NCAA appeal.
- Gilbert Arenas sues management company alleging theft of millions and improper account management.
- Billy Hunter files amended complaint against NBPA, removing claims against Derek Fisher.